Resources for Parents
Local Crisis Services
- Local Axis Health System 24/7 Crisis Care Hotline: 970-247-5245
- Walk in Crisis Center – Axis Crossroads 1125 Three Springs Blvd. Durango….8am-5pm M-F. After hours go to the local Emergency Room.
- Synergetic Play Therapy
- Five Way to Regulate Your Nervous System in Intensity
- Association for Play Therapy Parent’s Corner
Books for parenting children who have experienced trauma
- What Happened to You? Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing by Bruce Perry, M.D., Ph.D. and Oprah Winfrey
- Born for Love: Why Empathy is Essential –and Endangered by Maia Szalavitz and Bruce Perry, M.D., Ph.D.
- The Connected Parent: Real-Life Strategies for Building Trust and Attachment by Karyn Purvis PhD and Lisa Qualls
General books for parents
- I Love You Rituals by Becky A. Bailey, Ph.D.
- The 5 Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell
- Listen: Five Simple Tools to Meet Your Everyday Parenting Challenges by Patty Wipfler and Tosha Schore, MA
- The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind by Daniel J. Siegel MD and Tina Payne Bryson Ph.D.
- Calm App: Provides guided meditation to help you sleep, relax, and learn to meditate
- Headspace App: Provides guided meditation to help with sleep, manage stress and learn mindfulness
- Stoic App: Helps track emotions and reactions and uses techniques like journaling, breathing exercise and meditation to help balance emotions.
- Booster Buddy App: An animated buddy guides you through a series of daily quests to help you create positive habits. The Buddy checks-in daily on how you are feeling and guides you in using coping skills.
- MoodSpace App: Track thoughts and feelings by writing 3 good things that happen each day. It has you identify and challenge negative thoughts and provides simple meditation exercises. A day planner helps find what brings you fulfillment and helps you make a plan to stick to.
- Breathe App: guided breathing meditation
- iMoodJournal App: Tracks moods, helps with establishing associations between moods and experiences, keeps a history of mood records.